We went to a BBQ today and were asked to bring a salad. Now that I’m enjoying a wider range of meals again (after months of very bland food due to DDs intolerances) I thought I’d try something a little different. On a trip to the library yesterday I found a recipe for a watermelon salad. It was delicious. The watermelon makes a great substitute for lettuce and as I’m not a great fan of lettuce this was perfect.
- half a watermelon, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lebanese cucumber, chopped
- handful of kalamata olives, halved
- 1/3 red onion, finely diced
- handful of basil leaves, torn
- 1 block haloumi cheese (you could substitute feta)
- half ciabatta
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- 1/2 clove garlic, finely diced (or crushed)
- Cut ciabatta into slices and place on baking tray, grill in oven until slightly browned
- In a small jar combine 3 parts olive oil to 1 part red wine vinegar and add garlic. Fasten lid and shake to mix.
- Fry haloumi in a lightly oiled frypan over med-high heat until browned on either side
- Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl and gently toss. Pour over dressing.